[R-sig-ME] why does my inter-annual SD = 0?

ONKELINX, Thierry Thierry.ONKELINX at inbo.be
Tue Oct 12 10:36:40 CEST 2010

Dear Scott,

Thanks for sharing your data. That makes things a lot easier.

IMHO you have several problems with your model. First you have only 4
years. Estimating a variance based on only 4 levels will give you very
unreliable estimates. Therefore it is better to treat them as a fixed
effect.
Another possible problem might be the structure of your nested random
effects. I noticed that many levels of WB have only one level of site,
and many levels of site have only one levels of zone. In such a case
there is competition between the nested effects. I'm not sure how lmer
handles that. If it were just a few cases I guess it will not be a big
issue. But your data has quite a lot of this things. A possible solution
is to use (1|WB:site:zone) as random effect.

HTH,

Thierry

----
ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Instituut voor natuur- en bosonderzoek
team Biometrie & Kwaliteitszorg
Gaverstraat 4
9500 Geraardsbergen
Belgium

Research Institute for Nature and Forest
team Biometrics & Quality Assurance
Gaverstraat 4
9500 Geraardsbergen
Belgium

tel. + 32 54/436 185
Thierry.Onkelinx at inbo.be
www.inbo.be

than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be able to
say what the experiment died of.
~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher

The plural of anecdote is not data.
~ Roger Brinner

ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body of
data.
~ John Tukey