[R-sig-Geo] ANOVA (two way) and Friedman Test

Eric Boeker eric.boeker at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 13:44:37 CET 2011

Dear list members,

I have a set of soil samples tested for one Element taken at 3 different
depths (respectively at depth A, B and C) on a transect.
I want to determine whether the results for the different layers (depths)
are comparable.
>From the literature I found that 2 tests can to be employed:

1) An extension of ANOVA that accounts for a blocking effect (different
samples taken at same position) = ANOVA (two way)
2) Non parametric equivalent of ANOVA with blocking the Friedman test

In both case, I got stuck. In the case of Friedman (
http://stat.ethz.ch/R-manual/R-patched/library/stats/html/friedman.test.html)
the example is given with a matrix and so far I was only dealing with
data.frame. I didnt figure out how to transform my data into a matrix or if
the data frame can be used directly.
With the two way ANOVA
(http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/car/car.pdf(p.11)), I did not
managed to figure out which argument to use for the
linear model (lm).

If someone is interested to give me a hand find attached the surveys data
at different depth.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards / Meilleures Salutations

Eric Böker

Project Manager
Eiseb Prospecting and Mining (Pty)Ltd
Gobabis, Namibia