[R] Use of geometric mean for geochemical concentrations [RESOLVED]

Rich Shepard r@hep@rd @end|ng |rom @pp|-eco@y@@com
Wed Jan 24 18:24:43 CET 2024

On Mon, 22 Jan 2024, Rich Shepard wrote:

> As an aquatic ecologist I see regulators apply the geometric mean to
> geochemical concentrations rather than using the arithmetic mean. I want to
> know whether the geometric mean of a set of chemical concentrations (e.g.,
> in mg/L) is an appropriate representation of the expected value. If not, I
> want to explain this to non-technical decision-makers; if so, I want to
> understand why my assumption is wrong.

Many of you provided excellent comments, and so did a couple of folks on
StackExchange. Rather than responding to individual posts I've waited until
the thread petered out to provide an overall response.

I've two points to make: one on mean calculations and the second on the
context I didn't sufficiently provide when I posted my question.

on the data set and the question(s) the data are to answer. So the summary
answer to my question (as stated) is: it depends. :-) Thank you.

What prompted my thread-starting message is that I work in the realm of
environmental regulation compliance, including the Clean Water Act and the
Endangered Species Act. There is one state environmental regulator that
provides state-wide point source storm water discharges under a General
permit for smaller industrial activities. The permit monitoring requirements
are 4 samples per year, one each quarter for a small set of water chemical
and physical constituents (really!) and the reporting requirements are to
use the geometric mean to summarize the four data points. I have my clients
calculate an arithmetic mean in addition. (For the record, if you have an
Agriculture Department General Storm Water Discharge Permit for a point
source such as a livestock feed lot you need only a single sample (after the
rains start) to comply with the permit. Feh!

Germane to Bert's comments about all the wrong ways to treat
non-detected/censored water chemical analyses, I discovered Dennis Helsel by
his 2005 article in Environmental Science & Technology (Oct. 16th). Bought
his book when it was published in 2012 and have used survival analyses on
censored data ever since. (Also presented a Continuing Legal Education talk
in 2016 with a nice thank-you email from a state district judge who
attended.)

I greatly appreciate all your comments and apologize for not better
explaining the context of my question when I posted my first message.

Regards,

Rich