[R] [EXT] Theta from negative binomial regression and power_NegativeBinomiial from PASSED

Eric Berger er|cjberger @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Sep 15 07:37:25 CEST 2023

I asked your question to ChatGPT4

In statistics, what is the theta parameter of the negative binomial
distribution?

The response contained some math symbols but I am sending in plain
text mode so there may be some loss, hopefully not serious.

The negative binomial distribution is used to model the number of
successes before observing a fixed number of failures in a Bernoulli
process. It has two parameters, typically denoted r and p:

r - This is the number of failures until the experiment is stopped.
p - This is the probability of success on any given trial.

In some contexts, the negative binomial distribution is described in
terms of the number of failures before a fixed number of successes. In
this case:

r would be the number of successes.
p would still be the probability of success on any given trial.

In some literature and software implementations, the negative binomial
distribution's parameterization is provided in terms of r (or k) and θ
instead of r and p. Here:

r (or k) is the number of successes.
θ represents a "success-to-failure" ratio.

The relationship between p and θ is:  p = θ / (θ+1)

[i.e. p = theta / (theta + 1) ]

Conversely, θ = p / (1−p)

[i.e. theta = p / (1-p) ]

In summary, θ is a parameter that captures the success-to-failure
ratio in some parameterizations of the negative binomial distribution,
and it can be related back to the success probability p.