[R] [Pkg-Collaboratos] BioShapes Almost-Package

Mon Sep 4 03:58:14 CEST 2023

1. R-package-devel is where queries about package protocols should go.

2. But...
"Is there a succinct, but sufficiently informative description of
documentation tools?"
"Writing R Extensions" (shipped with R) is *the* reference for R
documentation. Whether it's sufficiently "succinct" for you, I cannot say.

"I find that including the documentation in the source files is very
distracting."
?? R documentation (.Rd) files are separate from source (.R) files. Inline
documentation in source files is an "add-on" capability provided by
optional packages if one prefers to do this. Such packages parse the source
files to extract the documentation into the .Rd files/ So not sure what you
mean here. Apologies if I have misunderstood.

" I would prefer to have only basic comments in the source
files and an expanded documentation in a separate location."
If I understand you correctly, this is exactly what the R package process
specifies. Again, see the "Writing R Extensions" manual for details.

Also, if you wish to have your package on CRAN, it requires that the
package documents all functions in the package as specified by the "Writing
..." manual.

Again, further questions and elaboration should go to the R-package-devel
list, although I think the manual is really the authoritative resource to
follow.

Cheers,
Bert