[R] Constructing arguments for plotmath

Dennis Fisher fisher at plessthan.com
Sun Aug 1 17:03:41 CEST 2010

Colleagues,

I am encountering difficulty adding formatted text to a graphic.  Specifically, I want to add a superscript in the middle of a text string but I would like to format the text string on the fly.  The commands:
	plot(1,1)
	ARG	<- bquote('TEXT'^'\u00ae')
	mtext(ARG, line=-2, side=1)
yield the desired output.

However, my goal is to paste together a string, then pass it to mtext.  For example:
	plot(1,1)
	PART1	<- 'TEXT'
	PART2	<- '^'
	PART3	<- '\u00ae'
	ARG	<- paste(PART1, PART2, PART3)
	mtext(bquote(.(ARG)), line=-2, side=1)		## bquote(ARG) also does not work
This does not work -- the unprocessed string:
	 TEXT ^ ®
is printed.

Obviously, I don't understand some aspect of passing arguments to bquote.  Of note, I tried "expression" instead of bquote but I was not able to get the registered sign ('\u00ae') to appear as a superscript.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dennis

(R 2.11; OS X [platform should not be an issue here])

Dennis Fisher MD
P < (The "P Less Than" Company)
Phone: 1-866-PLessThan (1-866-753-7784)
Fax: 1-866-PLessThan (1-866-753-7784)