[R] R and computer heat

Dr Eberhard Lisse el at lisse.NA
Tue Oct 7 17:25:30 CEST 2008

Lpatops are not for heavy lifting, they are Toys for the Boys.

I run the .NA country code Top Level Domain Name Registry
which is Java based. It supports an API called EPP and I have
of course a clone on my MacBook (and on the Sexy Little Number
:-)-O). I tested the EPP by writing a loop registering as many
names as possible and noticed the fan turn on almost immediately.
It became so hot that I worried and killed the Perl script.

I am quite sure that this is expected behavior. What happens with
the same script on a Desk Top?

el

on 10/7/08 1:50 PM Tom Backer Johnsen said the following:
> Alexandre Aguiar wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I noticed the temperature of my laptop rises sharply during execution
>> of a long R script that generates several hundred plots, all of them
>> saved to files.

el at lisse.NA el108-ARIN / *     |   Telephone: +264 81 124 6733 (cell)
PO Box 8421             \     /   Please do NOT email to this address
Bachbrecht, Namibia     ;____/        if it is DNS related in ANY way