[R] R extensions programmer help needed (London area programmer preferrably)

Neil Osborne perl_redhat_hacker at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 11 00:21:07 CET 2002

Hi All,

I'm not too sure if this is the right Ng to make this posting however, if it
isn't I'd be grateful
if you could point me to the appropriate Ng for this post. I recently sent a
similar post to this Ng
but got no response, if this is not the correct newsgroup for this kind of
post, I will greatly appreciate
some feedback regarding where I'm likely to get a more favourable response.

I've recently discovered R, and I am so impressed by it's power and
flexibility that I want to integrate
it into a research application I wrote in C/C++ a little while ago. I have
succesfully built R on my machine
(a Win 2K workhorse) and am seeking to integrate R more tightly, into my
application.

My application generates large quantities of data based on various model
simulations.
I would like to integrate R with my application so that I can:

a) call R functions (including R functions I write myself) from my C
application.

b) In the function calls mentioned above, I would like to pass data from my
application in the form of
   pointers to my internal data types, and carry out analysis on the passed
data (using my R function).
   I may also want to return R results (converted to a pointer to my
internal data type)

c) Create an R extension that will allow me to call my C functions from R
and hence interogate my application
   directly via its C API (once again passing data back and forth by means
of pointers to my internal
   data structures)

I know there is a lot of information about how to do this sort of thing  (if
you can locate it), and I have
even peered into the "Writing R extensions" manual. However, the conclusion
I drew from this exercise was
that, this represented too steep a learning curve for me, given my time
constraints.

Ideally, I would like to have achieved this integration by the end of March.
I think it will be a much more
efficient use of my limited resources to enlist the help of an experienced
person, familiar with this kind of
work, and pay them instead, for their assistance, rather than spending
several months trying to "figure it out"
myself, and probably still not getting it right.

I envisage that the work required would probably take two full days (with an
experienced R extensions
programmer) - which ideally, will be spread over one or two weekends.

I specify that proximity to London was preferable because as I mentioned
earlier, I would like to integrate
R into my current application and it would be a lot more time efficient as
well as effective, to do the
actual development on my machine, rather than mailing several different
header files and libraries back and
forth, trying to replicate my computing environment (Windows 2K by the way).
Besides there'll be far too many
header files and libs to be passing around to even make it a practical
alternative.

Proximity to London is not necessarily an absolute requirement, if you would
like to travel from anywhere

(in the UK !), I will gladly pay your transportation expenses - I just need
some help to get this

finished !.  I would be more than willing to hear from anyone who can help.

Thanks for your time and please e-mail responses directly to me (not this
newsgroup).

My email is perl_redhat_hacker at hotmail.com

Regards

Neil