[Rd] hand compile; link to MKL fails at BLAS zdotu

Ramón Fallon r@mon|@||on @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sat Mar 30 11:55:48 CET 2024

Hi,

I've reached about 20 attempts hand compiling R-4.3.3 on my debian bookworm
box. My configure directive is:

./configure --prefix=/opt/R-4.3.3 --enable-R-shlib
--enable-memory-profiling --with-tcltk --enable-threads=posix
--with-blas="-lmkl_rt" --with-lapack

In contrast to Dirk's solution, I've found R's configure script doesn't
recognise the update-alternatives system on debian/ubuntu, if it's MKL. In
fact, of all the blas libraries, R's configure script pays least attention
to MKL, and is happier with OpenBLAS and even BLIS which is relatively
recent.

However, on MKL it fails at BLAS zdotu (double complex BLAS), but not at
dgemm_, which IS found in libmkl_rt. Using bash command "nm" on
libmkl_rt.so, both dgemm and zdotu symbols are there, so I'm finding it
hard to understand why it can't find zdotu. appending "-lmkl_gf_lp64" to
the --with-blas option does not help (that's suggested by several posts out
there).

So unfortunately, I've taken to hand editing the configure script .. a sure
sign of desperation ... and of course that's not going to work. Any
suggestions welcome, thanks in advance.