[Rd] capture "->"

@vi@e@gross m@iii@g oii gm@ii@com @vi@e@gross m@iii@g oii gm@ii@com
Fri Mar 1 22:30:37 CET 2024

Adrian,

That is indeed a specialized need albeit not necessarily one that cannot be done by requiring an alternate way of typing a formula that avoids being something the parser sees as needed to do at that level.

In this case, my other questions become moot as I assume the global assignment operator and somethings like assign(“xyz”, 5) will not be in the way.

What I was wondering about is what happens if you temporarily disable the meaning of the assignment operator <- and turn it back on after.

In the following code, for no reason, I redefine + to mean – and then undo it:

> temp <- `+`
> `+` <- `-`
> 5 + 3
[1] 2
> `+` <- temp
> 5 + 3
[1] 8

I have no idea if a similar technique could save and later restore the meaning of <- and replace it with something appropriate so that an expression using it is not evaluated the same way and leaves it alone long enough …

Of course, even if this works, it could cause side effects if anything else is done between changes that invokes it (maybe not likely) or the change back is not done perhaps due to an error interruption.

Avi

From: Adrian Dușa <dusa.adrian using gmail.com>
Sent: Friday, March 1, 2024 11:38 AM
To: avi.e.gross using gmail.com
Cc: r-devel <r-devel using r-project.org>; Dmitri Popavenko <dmitri.popavenko using gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Rd] capture "->"

I would also be interested in that.
For me, this is interesting for my QCA package, over which Dmitri and I have exchanged a couple of messages.
The "<-" operator is used to denote necessity, and the "->" is used for sufficiency.

Users often make use of Boolean expressions such as A*B + C -> Y
(to calculate if the expression A*B + C is sufficient for the outcome Y)

The parser inverses it into Y <- A*B + C, as if the outcome Y is necessary for the expression A*B + C, which changes the nature of the expression.

Quoting such expressions is already possible and it works as expected. We were trying to avoid the quotes, if at all possible, to simplify the command use in the manuals.

Best wishes,
Adrian