[Rd] using Paraview "in-situ" with R?

George Ostrouchov georgeo@t @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Jan 10 21:06:03 CET 2024

At ORNL, we worked with VisIt (a sibling of Paraview, both funded largely by DOE) around 2016 and made an in situ demo with R. We used packages pbdMPI (on CRAN) and pbdDMAT (on GitHub/RbigData), which were in part built for this purpose. Later also the package hola (on GitHub/RbigData) was built to connect with adios2, which can do buffered in situ connections with various codes.

But the VisIt developers were not interested in R (preferring to roll their own), so that direction fizzled. Paraview is a competetive sibling of VisIt, so I don’t know if they would be interested. The packages we developed are viable for that purpose. There is a lot in R that could benefit Paraview (or VisIt).

George