[Rd] [External] Get list of active calling handlers?

iuke-tier@ey m@iii@g oii uiow@@edu iuke-tier@ey m@iii@g oii uiow@@edu
Wed Feb 7 14:36:32 CET 2024

On Tue, 6 Feb 2024, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> The SO post https://stackoverflow.com/q/77943180 tried to call
> globalCallingHandlers() from a function, and it failed with the error message
> "should not be called with handlers on the stack".  A much simpler
> illustration of the same error comes from this line:
>
>  try(globalCallingHandlers(warning = function(e) e))
>
> The problem here is that try() sets an error handler, and
> globalCallingHandlers() sees it and aborts.
>
> If I call globalCallingHandlers() with no arguments, I get a list of
> currently active global handlers.  Is there also a way to get a list of
> active handlers, including non-global ones (like the one try() added in the
> line above)?

There is not. The internal stack is not safe to allow to escape to the
R level.  It would be possible to write a reflection function to
provide some information, but it would be a fair bit of work to design
and I don't think would be of enough value to justify that.

The original SO question would be better addressed to
Posit/RStudio. Someone with enough motivation might also be able to
figure out an answer by looking at the source code at
https://github.com/rstudio/rstudio.

Best,

luke