[Rd] Advice debugging M1Mac check errors

Simon Urbanek @|mon@urb@nek @end|ng |rom R-project@org
Wed Feb 7 01:34:09 CET 2024

> On 7/02/2024, at 5:06 AM, Prof Brian Ripley via R-devel <r-devel using r-project.org> wrote:
>
> On 04/02/2024 19:41, Holger Hoefling wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I wanted to ask if people have good advice on how to debug M1Mac package
>> check errors when you don´t have a Mac? Is a cloud machine the best option
>> or is there something else?
>
> I presumed this was about a CRAN package, possibly hdf5r which has a R-devel-only warning from the Apple clang compiler.  And that is not a 'check error' and not something to 'debug'.
>
> The original poster had errors for his package flsa until yesterday on fedora-clang and M1mac, which were compilation errors with recent LLVM and Apple compilers.  Again, not really something to 'debug' -- the compiler messages were clear and the CRAN notification contained advice on where in our manual to look this up.
>
> The mac-builder service offers checks for R 4.3.0, the 'development' option being (last time I tried) the same as the 'release' option. (When I asked, Simon said that 'development' checks were only available in the run up to a x.y.0 when he starts package building and checks for R-devel.)

Just to clarify, the above is outdated information - ever since the R-devel packages binaries are on CRAN the "development" option in the mac-builder is available.

Cheers,
Simon