[Rd] [EXTERNAL] Re: NOTE: multiple local function definitions for ?fun? with different formal arguments

Henrik Bengtsson henr|k@bengt@@on @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Feb 6 22:29:49 CET 2024

Here's a dummy example that I think illustrates the problem:

toto <- function() {
  if (runif(1) < 0.5)
    function(a) a
  else
    function(a,b) a+b
}

> fcn <- toto()
> fcn(1,2)
[1] 3
> fcn <- toto()
> fcn(1,2)
[1] 3
> fcn <- toto()
> fcn(1,2)
Error in fcn(1, 2) : unused argument (2)

How can you use the returned function, if you get different arguments?

In your example, you cannot use the returned function without knowing
'mode', or by inspecting the returned function.  So, the warning is
there to alert you to a potential bug.  Anecdotally, I'm pretty sure
this R CMD check NOTE has caught at least one such bug in one of
my/our packages.

If you want to keep the current design pattern, one approach could be
to add ... to your function definitions:

toto <- function(mode)
{
     if (mode == 1)
         fun <- function(a, b, ...) a*b
     else
         fun <- function(u, v, w) (u + v) / w
     fun
}

to make sure that toto() returns functions that accept the same
minimal number of arguments.

/Henrik