[Rd] Advice debugging M1Mac check errors

J C Nash pro|jcn@@h @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Feb 5 01:43:32 CET 2024

80 bit registers (I don't have my original docs with me here in Victoria)
seem to have been part of the 1985 standard to which I was one of the 31 named
contributors. See

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/612507/what-are-the-applications-benefits-of-an-80-bit-extended-precision-data-type

or the Wikipedia item on IEEE 754.

It appears to have been omitted from 2008 and 2020 versions, but is still (I believe) part of
many processors. It's an internal precision for handling multiplications and accumulation,
and not one of the storage modes.

Most of the time this makes very little difference in results for R, since it is only some
operations where the extended precision gets activated. If we store quantities, we get the
regular precision. Thus very few situations using the M? chips give differences, but when
they do, it is a nuisance.

There is plenty of scope for debating the pros and cons of extended precision internally.
Not having it likely contributes to speed / bang for the buck of the M? chips. But we do
now have occasional differences in outcomes which will lead to confusion and extra work.

JN