[Rd] [Feature Request] Hide API Key in download.file() / R's libcurl

Kevin Ushey kev|nu@hey @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Feb 5 00:31:52 CET 2024

For cases like these, I think it would be more useful to have some
mechanism for associating URLs / hosts with credentials, and have R use
those credentials by default whenever accessing those URLs. Since
download.file() now supports custom headers, this could be a mechanism for
setting headers to be used by default when downloading files from
particular URLs. Then, users could do something like:

    options(download.file.headers = list(
        example.org = c(Authorization = "<...>")
    ))

And those headers would be used automatically by download.file() whenever
talking to that server.

All of that to say -- I think the better way forward would be to make it
easier to safely use authentication credentials in download.file(), rather
than just tooling in support for suppressing specific types of output.

Best,
Kevin

On Sat, Feb 3, 2024 at 1:33 PM Simon Urbanek <simon.urbanek using r-project.org>
wrote:

> Any reason why you didn't use quiet=TRUE to suppress that output?
>
> There is no official API structure for credentials in R repositories, so
R has no way of knowing which part of the URL are credentials as it is not
under R's purview - it could be part of the path or anything, so there is
no way R can reliably mask it. Hence it makes more sense for the user to
suppress the output if they think it may contain sensitive information -
and R supports that.

> If that's still not enough, then please make a concrete proposal that
defines exactly what kind processing you'd like to see under what
conditions - and how you think that will solve the problem.

https://github.com/wch/r-source/blob/trunk/src/modules/internet/libcurl.c>:
> > install.packages() calls download.packages(), and download.packages()
calls

https://github.com/wch/r-source/blob/trunk/src/modules/internet/libcurl.c#L772

> > ("if (!quiet) REprintf(_("trying URL '%s'\n"), url);")  prints the full
url
> > it is trying to access.
> >
> > This is totally fine for public urls without credentials, but in the
case
> > that a given url contains an API key, it poses security issues. For
> > example, if the getOption("repos") has been overridden to a
> > customized repository (protected by API keys), then
> >> install.packages("zoo")
> > Installing packages into '--removed local directory path--'
> > trying URL 'https://--removed userid--:--removed
> > api-key-- using repository-addresss.com:4443/.../src/contrib/zoo_1.8-12.tar.gz
'
> > Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 782344 bytes (764 KB)
> > ===================================
> > downloaded 764 KB
> >
> > * installing *source* package 'zoo' ...
> > -- further logs removed --
> >>

> > I also tried several other options:
> >
> > 1. quite=1
> >> install.packages("zoo", quite=1)
> > It did hide the url, but it also hid all other useful information.
> > 2. method="curl"
> >> install.packages("zoo", method="curl")
> > This does not print the url when the download is successful, but if
there
> > were any errors, it still prints the url with API key in it.
> > 3. method="wget"
> >> install.packages("zoo", method="wget")
> > This hides API key by *password*, but I wasn't able to install packages
> > with this method even with public repos, with the error "Warning:
unable to