[Rd] Is ALTREP "non-API"?

Hiroaki Yutani yut@n|@|n| @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Apr 22 03:35:37 CEST 2024

Thanks, Hernando,

Sorry, "API" is a bit confusing term in this context, but what I want to
discuss is the "API" that Writing R Extension defines as quoted in my
previous email. It's probably different from an ordinary sense when we
casually say "R C API".

You might wonder why I care about such a difference. This is because
calling a "non-API" is considered a violation of CRAN repository policy,
which means CRAN will kick out the R package. I know many CRAN packages use
ALTREP, but just being accepted by CRAN at the moment doesn't mean CRAN
will keep accepting it. So, I want to clarify the current status of ALTREP.

Best,
Yutani