[Rd] [External] Re: Repeated library() of one package with different include.only= entries

Michael Chirico m|ch@e|ch|r|co4 @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Apr 11 18:10:11 CEST 2024

> I would assume that
>   library(Matrix, include.only="isDiagonal")
> implies that only `isDiagonal` ends up on the search path

This could also be a reasonable behavior, but neither does that happen
today.
> I think a far better approach to solve Michael's problem is simply to use
>   fac2sparse <- Matrix::fac2sparse

This does not fully simulate attachment, e.g. running package hooks &
resolving Depends.

> ?library could also mention using detach() followed by library() or
> attachNamespace() with a new include.only specification.

This is the "quite hard to accomplish" I alluded to, admittedly I hadn't
forced myself to write it all out -- maybe it's not as bad as all that.
After some iterations, today I think we'd want to do...

modify_attach = function(pkg, new_names) {
  if (!startsWith(pkg, "package:")) pkg <- paste0("package:", pkg)
  old <- tryCatch(ls(pkg, all.names=TRUE), error=\(c) character())
  if (length(old)) detach(pkg)
  attachNamespace(.rmpkg(pkg), include.only=c(new_names, old))
}

Perhaps detach() could invisibly return the exported names to make this a
tiny bit easier (today it returns NULL):

modify_attach = function(pkg, new_names) {
  if (!startsWith(pkg, "package:")) pkg <- paste0("package:", pkg)
  old <- tryCatch(detach(pkg), error=\(c) character())
  attachNamespace(.rmpkg(pkg), include.only=c(new_names, old))
}

Regardless, I think your suggestion to just point to
detach()+attachNamespace() is reasonable enough, the rare users that care
about this are likely to be able to figure out the rest from there.