[Rd] Tight bounding box around text in graphics?

Paul Murrell p@u| @end|ng |rom @t@t@@uck|@nd@@c@nz
Mon Sep 25 21:53:40 CEST 2023

Hi

strheight(), which is based GEStrHeight(), is pretty crude, not only
ignoring descenders, but also only considering the ascent of the overall
font (capital "M").

There is a GEStrMetric(), which returns character-specific ascent and
descent, but that is only currently exposed via grid::stringAscent() and
grid::stringDescent().  There is also grid::stringHeight(), which is as
unsubtle as strheight().

For example, these are all the same (just font ascent) ...

 > strheight("y", "in")
[1] 0.1248031
 > strheight("x", "in")
[1] 0.1248031
 > strheight("M", "in")
[1] 0.1248031

... and these are all the same ...

 > convertHeight(stringHeight("y"), "in")
[1] 0.124803149606299inches
 > convertHeight(stringHeight("x"), "in")
[1] 0.124803149606299inches
 > convertHeight(stringAscent("M"), "in")
[1] 0.124803149606299inches

... but these have more detail ...

 > convertHeight(stringAscent("y"), "in")
[1] 0.0936023622047244inches
 > convertHeight(stringDescent("y"), "in")
[1] 0.0416010498687664inches
 > convertHeight(stringAscent("x"), "in")
[1] 0.0936023622047244inches
 > convertHeight(stringDescent("x"), "in")
[1] 0inches
 > convertHeight(stringHeight("M"), "in")
[1] 0.124803149606299inches
 > convertHeight(stringDescent("M"), "in")
[1] 0inches

In theory, it should not be difficult to add a graphics::strascent() and
graphics::strdescent() if that would help.

Paul