[Rd] FYI: daily R source tarballs from ETH: *.xz instead of *.bz2)

Hervé Pagès hp@ge@@on@g|thub @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Sep 13 02:05:25 CEST 2023

On 9/11/23 22:39, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> On 09/09/2023 01:56, Hervé Pagès wrote:
>> Hi Martin,
>>
>> Sounds good. Are there any plans to support the xz compression for
>> package source tarballs?
>
> What makes you think it is not supported?

I guess because I've never seen source tarballs distributed as .xz files
but it's good to know that 'R CMD build' and 'R CMD INSTALL' support that.

So let me reformulate my question: do CRAN have any plans to switch from
.tar.gz to .xz for the distribution of source tarballs? Is this
something that tools like write_PACKAGES(), available.packages(), and
install.packages() would be able to handle? Would they be able to handle
a mix of .tar.gz and .xz packages? (Which would be important for a
smooth transition from .tar.gz to .xz across CRAN/Bioconductor.)

I'm just trying to get a sense if the effort to reduce bandwidth will go
beyond the distribution of R source snapshots.

Thanks,

H.

--
Hervé Pagès