[Rd] system()/system2() using short paths of commands on Windows?

Tomas Kalibera tom@@@k@||ber@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Oct 30 18:34:28 CET 2023

On 10/30/23 17:18, Yihui Xie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It may have been so for 20+ years but I just discovered today that system()
> would always try to use the short path of a command on Windows:
> https://github.com/wch/r-source/blob/635a67/src/gnuwin32/run.c#L141 If
> that's true, I wonder if it could provide an option to disable this
> behavior, because we recently ran into a case in which short paths wouldn't
> work. I wonder what the original motivation of using short paths was. If it
> was to avoid spaces in paths, wouldn't shQuote() work? Thanks!

Could you please file a minimal reproducible example that exhibits the
problem caused by an attempt to translate to short path names (note
there is a fallback to long path names)? In principle, short path names
should work when they are returned by Windows, this should not be
causing any trouble.

Thanks
Tomas