[Rd] Wayland Display Support in R Plot

Sun Oct 29 22:29:28 CET 2023

On 30 October 2023 at 09:20, Simon Urbanek wrote:
| > On 30/10/2023, at 8:38 AM, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd using debian.org> wrote:
| > On 30 October 2023 at 07:54, Paul Murrell wrote:
| > | I am unaware of any Wayland display support.
| > |
| > | One useful way forward would be an R package that provides such a device
| > | (along the lines of 'Cairo', 'tikzDevice', et al)
| >
| > As I understand it, it is a protocol, and not a device.
| >

| Well, X11 is a protocol, not a device, either.

Point taken.

| > I think I needed to fall back to X11 for a particular applications (likely
| > OBS) so my session tells me (under Settings -> About -> Windowing System) I
| > am still running X11. I'll check again once I upgrade from Ubuntu 23.04 to
| > Ubuntu 23.10

Booted an older laptop using 22.04, selected 'not X11' in the gdm dialog but
the same Gnome Menu still says Windowing System: X11.  So I am no longer sure
how I would convince myself if I am under Wayland there or not.  The answers
in https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/202891/how-to-know-whether-wayland-or-x11-is-being-used
suggest I still run X11 too.  So I got nuttin' here.

In any event, I read OP as asking 'do we need a new device' and I still think
that the answer to that still is 'likely not' as the X11 compatibility layer
should cover this.

Dirk

--
dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd using debian.org