[Rd] About FlexiBLAS in the R-admin docs

Tomas Kalibera tom@@@k@||ber@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Oct 24 12:53:41 CEST 2023

On 10/11/23 23:12, George Ostrouchov wrote:
> I agree that the "R Installation and Administration" guide statement about FlexiBLAS needs an update. Standard R in CentOS Stream 9, which is now downstream from Fedora, gives the following result for Matrix products in sessionInfo():
>
>> sessionInfo()
> R version 4.3.1 (2023-06-16)
> Platform: x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu (64-bit)
> Running under: CentOS Stream 9
>
> Matrix products: default
> BLAS/LAPACK: FlexiBLAS OPENBLAS-OPENMP;  LAPACK version 3.9.0
>>
> So OpenBLAS compiled with OpenMP is the default. FlexiBLAS (via the flexiblas package) is my favorite way to manage core use in multithreaded BLAS computations. It is also the default in the EasyBuild foss compiler toolchain for HPC clusters: https://docs.easybuild.io/common-toolchains/

The output of session info is based on that flexiblas is used and on
what flexiblas tells R is the backend it uses. R does not attempt to
check that optimized LAPACK functions from the backend really end up
called via flexiblas, and I don't think it could be realistically checked.

But I've checked one case manually in Fedora 38 using Linux perf tool.
The following code:

S <- toeplitz((10:1)/10)
repeat { R <- rWishart(10, 20, S) }

uses dpotrf from LAPACK, which is optimized in OpenBLAS and ATLAS and
the corresponding optimized implementations really appeared on the
sampling profile for me from the backend libraries.

The comment from R Admin has been removed now and if anyone runs into
the problem (that an optimized LAPACK function is not called from a
backend that provides it), it would be best to report it with sufficient
detail to flexiblas.

Best
Tomas