[Rd] FR: valid_regex() to test string validity as a regular expression

Tue Oct 10 02:19:31 CEST 2023

On 09/10/2023 7:57 p.m., Michael Chirico via R-devel wrote:
> It will be useful to package authors trying to validate input which is
> supposed to be a valid regular expression.
>
> As near as I can tell, the only way we can do so now is to run any
> regex function and check for the warning and/or condition to bubble
> up:
>
> valid_regex <- function(str) {
>    stopifnot(is.character(str), length(str) == 1L)
>    !inherits(tryCatch(grepl(str, ""), condition = identity), "condition")
> }
>
> That's pretty hefty/inscrutable for such a simple validation. I see a
> variety of similar approaches in CRAN packages [1], all slightly
> different. It would be good for R to expose a "canonical" way to run
> this validation.

I think currently we do as.character(str) (or some equivalent), so the
test shouldn't require str to be a character to start.  For example,
this is currently valid code:

   grepl(1, "abc123")

It's not great style, but shouldn't generate an error.

Duncan Murdoch