[Rd] Matrix 1.6.2+ versus Matrix 1.6.2-

Mikael Jagan j@g@nmn2 @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Nov 22 22:14:18 CET 2023

Naras,

Thanks.  I'm a bit confused, because Rmosek does not declare Matrix as a
dependency:

     > tools::package_dependencies("Rmosek", which = "all")[[1L]]
     [1] "pkgbuild"

nor does it contain code needing compilation:

     > packageDescription("Rmosek", fields="NeedsCompilation")
     [1] "no"

Can you explain the nature of the dependency and how I can reproduce your
output?  Is an _external_ library somehow linking Matrix ... ?

Note that the 3 removed entry points were unused by all reverse LinkingTo
on CRAN and BioC at the time that Matrix 1.6-2 was released.  We can
suggest replacements (probably off list; I don't know that R-devel is the
right forum) but only if we are able to see the code being compiled ...

Mikael

 > Package Rmosek compiles fine using Matrix versions 1.6.2- but not with
 > anything beyond Matrix 1.6.2.  (FYI, Rmosek provides R interfaces to the
 > excellent MOSEK solver; academic licenses are free.)
 >
 > Here is the error message:
 >
 >     rmsk_obj_matrices.cc:50:9: error: use of undeclared identifier
'Matrix_isclass_Csparse'
 >         50 |     if (Matrix_isclass_Csparse(val)) {
 >     rmsk_obj_matrices.cc:171:9: error: use of undeclared identifier
'Matrix_isclass_triplet'
 >        171 |     if (Matrix_isclass_triplet(val)) {
 >     rmsk_obj_matrices.cc:225:24: error: use of undeclared identifier
'M_chm_triplet_to_SEXP'
 >        225 |   matrixhandle.protect(M_chm_triplet_to_SEXP(tmp, 0, 0, 0, NULL,
R_NilValue));