[Rd] New syntax for positional-only function parameters?

Lakshman, Aidan H AHL27 @end|ng |rom p|tt@edu
Thu Nov 9 15:31:24 CET 2023

Hi Mikko,

> Given the prevalence of the issue, is this something that you would see as worth pursuing for R?

Could you give a little more detail on this, potentially with an example of the collisions you�re referring to (and maybe an example that throws an error and/or does something unexpected)? I can�t think of a time I�ve had an issue that would have been solved/helped with positional-only parameters, though it could just be a use-case outside of my normal work. Typically, the default scoping rules are sufficient to resolve these in a way that feels (to me at least) pretty intuitive.

> The typical workaround is to use somehow obfuscated names for the parameters in the main function in order to make such collisions unlikely�In practice this pattern avoids many collisions, but it cannot guarantee that they won't happen.

This is a fair point and the PEP you linked is a great writeup, but it�s worth mentioning that the development paradigms of Python and R aren�t exactly the same. My gut feeling is that this change would take a significant amount of work to solve a somewhat edge case. Anything involving changes to the argument parser has a nontrivial chance of inadvertently affecting other pieces of R, and with R�s focus on stability and backwards-compatibility they typically try to avoid big changes to the core core functionality. I am not R-core, but I�d be doubtful that it would be a high priority project for the core members for those reasons. Again, if there were examples of packages/code that would be simplified by this then that could change things, although I doubt that any changes would be made to functions like the `*apply` family due to backwards-compatibility issues.

That said, it�s an interesting idea. If you have an implementation that adds this capability, I�d be interested in taking a look. From a quick look at the internals, I�m expecting you�d need to make a few changes to `src/main/builtin.c` and possibly `src/main/eval.c`. I�m far from an expert on this, so I�d also be interested in anyone else�s input.

-Aidan

Aidan Lakshman (he/him)<https://www.ahl27.com/>
Doctoral Fellow, Wright Lab<https://www.wrightlabscience.com/>
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
Department of Biomedical Informatics
ahl27 using pitt.edu
(724) 612-9940