[Rd] Building R from source always fails on tools:::sysdata2LazyLoadDB

Tue May 30 22:37:26 CEST 2023

On Tue, 30 May 2023 20:09:53 +0000
Martin Morgan <mtmorgan.bioc using gmail.com> wrote:

> ~/bin/R-devel/src/library/utils $   R_DEFAULT_PACKAGES=NULL
> ../../../bin/R --vanilla
> > tools:::sysdata2LazyLoadDB("/Users/ma38727/src/R-devel/src/library/utils/R/sysdata.rda","../../../library/utils/R")
> >
> zsh: killed     R_DEFAULT_PACKAGES=NULL ../../../bin/R --vanilla

Can you add the -d lldb flag to the command line (substitute lldb for a
different debugger if that's what you prefer) and get a backtrace at
the moment where R gets killed?

That signal 9 is suspicious. On Linux, I would expect a SIGKILL sent by
the OOM-Killer to a runaway process. On a Mac, I'm not sure at all, but
could it be related to some of the security features? (Does the system
save a crash report somewhere?)

--
Best regards,
Ivan