[Rd] save.image Non-responsive to Interrupt

Henrik Bengtsson henr|k@bengt@@on @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu May 4 18:38:14 CEST 2023

On Thu, May 4, 2023 at 3:02 PM Serguei Sokol via R-devel
<r-devel using r-project.org> wrote:

> Le 03/05/2023 à 01:25, Henrik Bengtsson a écrit :
> > Along the lines of calling R_CheckUserInterrupt() only onces in a while:
> >
> >> OTOH, in the past we have had to *disable*  R_CheckUserInterrupt()
> >> in parts of R's code because it was too expensive,
> >> {see current src/main/{seq.c,unique.c}  for a series of commented-out
> >> R_CheckUserInterrupt() for such speed-loss reasons}
> > First, here are links to these two files viewable online:
> >
> >   * https://github.com/wch/r-source/blob/trunk/src/main/seq.c
> >
> >   * https://github.com/wch/r-source/blob/trunk/src/main/unique.c
> >
> > When not commented out, R_CheckUserInterrupt() would have been called
> > every 1,000,000 times per:
> >
> >    /* interval at which to check interrupts */
> >    #define NINTERRUPT 1000000
> >
> > and
> >
> >    if ((i+1) % NINTERRUPT == 0) R_CheckUserInterrupt()
> >
> > in each iteration. That '(i+1) % NINTERRUPT == 0' expression can be
> > quite expensive too.
> I vaguely remember a hack that was mentioned on this list as close to
> 0-cost. It looked something like:
>
> iint = NINTERRUPT;
> for (...) {
>     if (--iint == 0) {
>        R_CheckUserInterrupt();
>        iint = NINTERRUPT;
>    }
> }
>
> Best,
> Serguei.

> > Alternatively, one can increment a counter and reset to zero after
> > calling R_CheckUserInterrupt(); I think that's equally performant.

Yes, that's the one, e.g. Tomas K migrated some "modulo" ones in
R-devel to this one yesterday
(https://github.com/wch/r-source/commit/1ca6c6c6246629c6a98a526a2906595e5cfcd45e).

/Henrik