[Rd] Inquiry about the behaviour of subsetting and names in matrices

Karolis Koncevičius k@ro||@@koncev|c|u@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed May 3 11:08:28 CEST 2023

Thank you for such a quick reply, here are some points that I think might have been missed:

> I would state the question the other way : why are NAs integer indices allowed?
> In my experience, they are sometimes useful but they often delay the detection of bugs. However, due to backward compatibility, this feature cannot be removed. Adding this feature to character indices would worsen the problem.

But please also note that character indices with NA are allowed for vectors. This is more an inconsistency between vectors and matrices. In vectors both numeric and character sub-setting works with NAs. In matrices only numberic and not character sub-setting works with NAs. Potentially this in itself can also be a source of bugs, or, at least surprises.

> Setting names() on a matrix is a rarely used feature that has practically no positive and no negative consequences. I see no incentive to change the behavior and break existing code.

When writing this message I had the opposite opinion. That this 2nd point is one of the most bug-probe points of all 3. As I would assume most users setting names() on a matrix would only do it by accident.

> In my opinion adding these features would improve the consistency of R but would add more sources of bugs in an already unsafe language.

I think this maybe is a crux of the thing.

My original impression was that R was “clever” about the usage of NAs by design. i.e. when you choose an unknown object from a set of objects the result is an object, but nobody knows which - hence NA. Is it really accepted now that such a decision was a mistake and lead to bugs in user code?

Kind regards,
Karolis K.