[Rd] Multiple Assignment built into the R Interpreter?

Kevin Ushey kev|nu@hey @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sun Mar 12 00:00:16 CET 2023

FWIW, it's possible to get fairly close to your proposed semantics
using the existing metaprogramming facilities in R. I put together a
prototype package here to demonstrate:

    https://github.com/kevinushey/dotty

The package exports an object called `.`, with a special `[<-.dot` S3
method which enables destructuring assignments. This means you can
write code like:

    .[nr, nc] <- dim(mtcars)

and that will define 'nr' and 'nc' as you expect.

As for R CMD check warnings, you can suppress those through the use of
globalVariables(), and that can also be automated within the package.
The 'dotty' package includes a function 'dotify()' which automates
looking for such usages in your package, and calling globalVariables()
so that R CMD check doesn't warn. In theory, a similar technique would
be applicable to other packages defining similar operators (zeallot,
collapse).

Obviously, globalVariables() is a very heavy hammer to swing for this
issue, but you might consider the benefits worth the tradeoffs.

Best,
Kevin