[Rd] Multiple Assignment built into the R Interpreter?

Sebastian Martin Krantz @eb@@t|@n@kr@ntz @end|ng |rom gr@du@te|n@t|tute@ch
Sat Mar 11 15:54:48 CET 2023

Thanks Duncan,

I know about list2env(), in fact a previous version of collapse::`%=%` was
coded as

"%=%" <- function(lhs, rhs) {
   if(!is.character(lhs)) stop("lhs needs to be character")
   if(!is.list(rhs)) rhs <- as.vector(rhs, "list")
   if(length(lhs) != length(rhs)) stop("length(lhs) not equal to
length(rhs)")
   list2env(`names<-`(rhs, lhs), envir = parent.frame())
   invisible()
}

but as you say, the input needs to be converted to a list, and it calls
several R functions, which led me to end up writing `%=%` in C:
https://github.com/SebKrantz/collapse/blob/master/src/small_helper.c#L162.
This implementation works in the way you describe, i.e. it has separate
methods for all the standard vector types, and coerces to list otherwise.

That being said, all implementations in packages falls short of being very
useful, because R CMD Check it will still require global bindings for
variables,
unless this becomes a standard feature of the language. So I cannot use
this in packages, and there is still a performance cost to it, in my case a
call to
.Call() and parent.frame(), which is quite low, but still high compared to
the cost of `<-` or `=`.

So what I am requesting is indeed nothing less than to consider making this
a permanent feature of the language itself.
Given that the other 3 major scientific computing languages (Matlab, Python
and Julia) have implemented it very successfully,
I don't think the general practicality of it should be an issue. Regarding
implementation in other languages, Julia works as follows:

function init_matrices()
    A = 1; C = 2; Q = 3; R = 4
    return A, C, Q, R
end

res = init_matrices()             # gives a Julia Tuple (A, C, Q, R)
A, C = init_matrices()           # Works, A is 1, C is 2, the others are
dropped
A, C, Q, R = init_matrices()  # Standard

I think as far as R is concerned multiple return values are not really
necessary given that one can always,
return(list(A, C, Q, R)), although of course there is also a cost to
list(). I also wouldn't mind being strict about it and
not allowing A, C = init_matrices(), but others might disagree.

Best regards,

Sebastian