[Rd] New behavior when running script in package directory?

Dominick Samperi dj@@mper| @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Jun 20 23:38:18 CEST 2023

When I run a script foo.R containing some trivial code in my home
directory, via Emacs/ESS, everything works as expected: R
starts, and a setwd() command to set the working directory is
run automatically before the code in the script is run.

But if I copy foo.R to some package/R directory strange
things happen. When I use Emacs/ESS to run the script
in its new location, R starts, and setwd() is called to set
the working directory, but then one or more libraries that the
package depends on are loaded, even though I am using no
libraries in foo.R.

Now consider foo.R that contains the following trivial code:
secsToRDateTime <- function(secs) {
  day2sec <- 60*60*24
  days <- secs/day2sec
}

When I try to run this from package/R I get...

Error in ss(file, echo = visibly, local = local, print.eval = output,  :
  /tmp/gpstime.R!CuSewT:2:0: unexpected end of input
1: secsToRDateTime <- function(secs) {
   ^

As I said, there are no problems when the script is run from my
home directory. This suggests that test scripts can no longer be
tested in a package's R directory?

Is this true?

Thanks,
Dominick