[Rd] random network disconnects

Patrick Burns pburn@ @end|ng |rom pburn@@@e@net@com
Mon Jul 31 17:43:17 CEST 2023

I'm experiencing a weird issue, and wondering if anyone has seen this,
and better yet has a solution.

At work we are getting lots of issues with 'permission denied' or
'network not found' and so forth when reading and writing between our
machines and a file server.  This happens randomly so the following
function solves the problem for 'cat' commands:

catSafer <-
function (..., ReTries = 20, ThrowError = TRUE)
{
     for (catsi in seq_len(ReTries)) {
         res <- try(cat(...))
         if (!inherits(res, "try-error"))
             break
     }
     if (inherits(res, "try-error")) {
         if (ThrowError) {
             stop("file connection failed")
         }
         else {
             warning("file connection failed")
         }
     }
}

People have done network traces and such, but so far nothing has been seen.

Thanks,
Pat

--
Patrick Burns