[Rd] question about an R idiom: eval()ing a quoted block

peter dalgaard pd@|gd @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Jul 20 09:46:33 CEST 2023

In the case of power.t.test, there is a situation where you want to create 4 different functions with the same function body, in order to pass them to uniroot(). I think that at the time, it just seemed convenient to express that idea with a quote-eval (macro-like) construction, rather than figure out how to do it with functions. I suppose that it could have been done neatly enough along the lines of

g <- function(x1, x2, x3, x4)
{
  f <- function(x1, x2, x3, x4) {...body...}
  if (is.null(x1)
     x1 <- uniroot(function(x1) {target - f(x1, x2, x3, x4)}, ....)$root
}

This adds an extra layer of function call, but probably makes the byte compiler happier!

You might also use the ... argument to uniroot() as in

x1 <- uniroot(f, x2=x2, x3=x3, x4=x4, ..other args..)$root

but that gets a bit clunky.

-pd