[Rd] Concerns with SVD -- and the Matrix Exponential

Mon Jul 17 10:43:18 CEST 2023

    > Better check your definitions of SVD -- there are several
    > forms, but all I am aware of (and I wrote a couple of the
    > codes in the early 1970s for the SVD) have positive
    > singular values.

    > JN

Indeed.

More generally, the decomposition     A = U D V'
(with diagonal D and orthogonal U,V)
is not at all unique.

There are not only many possible different choices of the sign
of the diagonal entries, but also the *ordering* of the singular values
is non unique.
That's why R and 'Lapack', the world-standard for
  computer/numerical linear algebra, and others I think,
make the decomposition unique by requiring
non-negative entries in D and have them *sorted* decreasingly.

The latter is what the help page   help(svd)  always said
(and you should have studied that before raising such concerns).

To your second point (in the document), the matrix exponential:
It is less known, but still has been known among experts for
many years (and I think even among students of a class on
numerical linear algebra), that there are quite a
few mathematically equivalent ways to compute the matrix exponential,
*BUT* that most of these may be numerically disastrous, for several
different reasons depending on the case.

This has been known for close to 50 years now:

 Cleve Moler and Charles Van Loan  (1978)
 Nineteen Dubious Ways to Compute the Exponential of a Matrix
 SIAM Review Vol. 20(4)
 https://doi.org/10.1137/1020098

Where as that publication had been important and much cited at
the time, the same authors (known world experts in the field)
wrote a review of that review 25 years later which I think (and
hope) is even more widely cited  (in R's man/*.Rd syntax) :

  Cleve Moler and Charles Van Loan (2003)
  Nineteen dubious ways to compute the exponential of a matrix,
  twenty-five years later. \emph{SIAM Review} \bold{45}, 1, 3--49.
  \doi{10.1137/S00361445024180}
i.e.  https://doi.org/10.1137/S00361445024180

It is BTW also cited on the Wikipedia page on the matrix
exponential:

==> For this reason, Professor Douglas Bates, the initial
creator of R's Matrix package (which comes with R) has added the
Matrix exponential very early to the package:
r461 | bates | 2005-01-29

Add expm function

Later, I've fixed an "infamous" bug :
r2127 | maechler | 2008-03-07

fix the infamous expm() bug also in "Matrix" (duh!)

Then, Vincent Goulet and Christophe Dutang wanted to provide more
versions of expm() and we collaborated, also providing expm()
for complex matrices and created the CRAN package {expm}
  --> https://CRAN.R-project.org/package=expm
which already provided half a dozen different expm algorithms.

But research and algorithms did not stop there.  In 2008, Higham
and collaborators even improved on the best known algorithms
and I had the chance to co-supervise a smart Master's student
Michael Stadelmann to implement Higham's algorithm and we even
allowed to tweak it {with optional arguments} as that was seen
to be beneficial sometimes.

See e.g., https://www.rdocumentation.org/packages/expm/versions/0.999-7/topics/expm