[Rd] question about an R idiom: eval()ing a quoted block

Wed Jul 12 00:01:32 CEST 2023

   In a few places in the R source code, such as the $initialize element
of `family` objects, and in the body of power.t.test() (possibly other
power.* functions), sets of instructions that will need to be run later
are encapsulated by saving them as an expression and later applying
eval(), rather than as a function. This seems weird to me; the only
reason I can think of for doing it this way is to avoid having to pass
back multiple objects and assign them in the calling environment (since
R doesn't have a particularly nice form of Python's tuple-unpacking idiom).

   Am I missing something?

  cheers
    Ben

https://github.com/r-devel/r-svn/blob/eac72e66a4d2c2aba50867bd80643b978febf5a3/src/library/stats/R/power.R#L38-L52