[Rd] Sys.getenv(): Error in substring(x, m + 1L) : invalid multibyte string at '<ff>' if an environment variable contains \xFF

Tomas Kalibera tom@@@k@||ber@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Jan 31 10:44:55 CET 2023

On 1/31/23 01:27, Simon Urbanek wrote:
> Tomas,
>
> I think you're not addressing the actual issue which is a clear regression in Sys.getenv() [because it used to work and still works for single env var, but not a list] and the cryptic error due to that regression (caused by changes in R-devel). So in either case, Sys.getenv needs fixing (i.e., this should really go to the bugzilla). Its behavior is currently inconsistent.
>
> The quoted Python discussion diverges very quickly into file name discussions, but I think that is not relevant here - environment variables are essentially data "blobs" that have application-specific meaning. They just chose to drop them because they didn't want to make a decision.

Well, yes, dropping such variables is a hack/work-around, but I would
not rule that out from consideration. It would be good to have a look
hat even other language runtimes do, but I can understand dropping them
from getenv() a work-around allowing such environment variables to exist
and be inherited by child processes, without breaking what happens in R
(the language runtime at hand), makes some sense.

The times when we could have (almost) arbitrary bytes in blobs are over,
one has to choose and separate the two. Going back to that we allow
blobs in multi-byte strings without special treatment is not possible.
That's a common thing, not just for R, we can't just "stop checking" as
before.

R has also the "bytes" encoding which can be used to work with
non-strings (encoding agnostic operations on non-ASCII data), and there
have been a number of improvements that are now ready in R-devel. In
theory, of course, getenv() could allow also to return the results as
"bytes" for those who insist they want to treat environment variables
with invalid strings. That would be technically possible, but could not
be made the default: people would have to opt-in for that by an argument
to the function. I am not sure it is worth it, it would not do what
Henrik is asking for, but it is possible and would be a conceptually
sound solution allowing people to use such variables (with newly written
code for it that cannot just use the values as "normal" strings), or to
save the whole environment profile.

Some of us have spent very long time debating how to go further dealing
with invalid strings, and it will still take time to decide and reach a
consensus. It is a very hard problem with serious consequences and
limitations. In principle one possible solution is to ban invalid
strings fully, completely, don't allow them to be created. Another
technically valid position is to allow invalid sequences in UTF-8
strings and support a subset of string operations in them, while
throwing errors in other (probably only after/when/if R can rely on that
UTF-8 is always the native encoding). Another approach discussed was
what some of the regular expressions do, when invalid strings
automatically become "bytes", to some extent it is the current behavior
of some regex operations. The improvements for "bytes" encoding handling
so far in R-devel a consequence of what we have already agreed on.

So, it is not hard today to find inconsistencies in R in that some
functions check for string validity while others don't. It is simply
because we have not yet gone all the way to a solution to this big
problem. getenv() is just one of the many.

In case of getenv(), indeed, it is because of how it is implemented, it
wraps OS functions and the OS don't require string validity. Btw Windows
have both a single-byte and multi-byte variant of the environment
profile which may disagree. R is not at the source of this problem, it
is the operating systems which couldn't (yet?) find the decision and
where the ambiguity remains.

In practice, so far, the problem is small, because [1] (reported by
Henrik) is behavior due to an obvious design bug in other software, and
luckily this is rare.

> I don't have a strong opinion on this, but Sys.getenv("FOO") and Sys.getenv()[["FOO"]] should not yield two different results. I would argue that if we want to make specific checks, we should make them conditional - even if the default is to add them. Again, the error is due to the implementation of Sys.getenv() breaking in R-devel, not due to any design decision.

The key design decision (and common one) behind is that environment
variables are strings.

Tomas