[Rd] rhub vs. CRAN fedora-*-devel, using armadillo & slapack

Tue Jan 10 21:28:36 CET 2023

On 10/01/2023 2:05 p.m., Ivan Krylov wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Jan 2023 16:27:53 +0000
> RICHET Yann <yann.richet using irsn.fr> wrote:
>
>> In facts, 10 threads are asked by armadillo for some LinAlg, which
>> backs to two threads as warned.
>
> I think you're right about your tests de-facto using two threads, but
> it might be a good idea to _default_ to up to two threads in tests and
> examples. This is especially valuable for third-party developers who
> have to mass-test packages (one of which could be rlibkriging) in
> parallel.
>
>> - is there any reason that could explain that fedora-*-devel is so
>> slow for this package or compilation of Rcpp/testthat ?
>
> Compilation time is definitely not the reason. Something in tests/*
> actually runs for 30 minutes by itself.
>
>> - is there any chance that I can get a deeper log of what happened ?
>
> If you split your tests into separate files under tests/*.R instead of
> using a single tests/testthat.R calling the rest of the tests, R will
> be able to show you the individual test file that hung and maybe the
> line where it happened. (Also, you'll get per-file timing.) But that
> is potentially a huge investment: you may have to rewrite the tests to
> work outside the testthat harness, and you'd also have to prepare
> another CRAN submission just to have those tests run. It's also against
> CRAN policy to knowingly submit a package with unfixed ERRORs.
>
> (Currently, R can only tell you that the tests hung in the
> test_check('rlibkriging') call in the tests/testthat.R, which isn't
> precise enough.)

You can specify a different "reporter" in the test_check() call, and it
will print more useful information.  I don't think there's a perfect
one, but

   test_check('rlibkriging', reporter = "progress")

should at least show you the tests that finished running before the
timeout.  You could possibly also write your own custom reporter that
could give timings for each of the tests as they run, but the documents
for how to do that don't seem to exist.  Maybe someone else has done it?

Duncan Murdoch