[Rd] An interesting chat with ChatGPT

Robert Baer rb@er @end|ng |rom @t@u@edu
Fri Feb 17 16:05:04 CET 2023

On 2/13/2023 11:14 AM, Kevin Coombes wrote:
> Chat bots are like politicians, or talking dogs. The fact that they exist
> is interesting. But no same person would believe anything they say.

I think it is more appropriate to be a little less harsh, " no same
person would believe EVERYTHING they say"

  What chatGPT (and politicians) say must be run through your own
personal filters and sanity checks ( just like the things even your
mother tells you.)  ;-)

> [...]
>> reference? Maybe it has to do with the fact that in producing correct
>> syntax there is a ground truth - errors just will not run. But I'm not sure.
>>
>> Regardless: it signals that we need a reinvigorated culture of validation.
>> Actually ChatGPT will happily make test data for you. Whisvh. in a way, it
>> judt did  ;-)
>>

>> Boris
>>

>>> On 2023-02-13, at 08:37, Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.duncan using gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> I was wondering which anchor would match in the regular expression
>> "(a)|(b)" if both "a" and "b" matches the target string.  What appears to
>> happen is that the first match wins, and that's how it is documented in
>> Python, but I was looking for docs on this in R.
>>> As far as I can see, the ?regex help page doesn't resolve this. So just
>> for fun, I decided to ask ChatGPT, and got an interesting response.  I
>> won't show the whole conversation here, but just some extracts:
>>> ---------------------------------------
>>> Me:  In a regular expression in R, if both "a" and "b" match, which does
>> "(a)|(b)" match?  Please include authoritative references in your answer.
>>> ChatGPT: [long answer about grep]
>>>
>>> Me:  In grep(), it doesn't matter which of a or b matches.  It's only in
>> sub() or gsub() that it makes a difference.  Do you know an authoritative
>> reference that discusses those functions?
>>> ChatGPT:  [long irrelevant answer about sub and gsub, with a reference
>> to "R Cookbook" by P. Teetor.]
>>> Me:  Teetor's book is not authoritative, and the other reference doesn't
>> discuss ambiguous alternation.
>>> ... finally we get to the interesting part ...
>>>
>>> ChatGPT: I apologize for the mistake in my previous answer.
>>>
>>> A more authoritative reference for the behavior of regular expressions
>> in R can be found in the official R documentation.
>>> Regarding the behavior of ambiguous alternation, the regex section of
>> the manual "An Introduction to R" explains it as follows:
>>> "When several alternatives are possible, the first alternative is
>> chosen, so it is important to specify alternatives in the order in which
>> they should be tried."
>>> Here is the reference for the official R documentation:
>>>
>>>     "An Introduction to R" manual:
>> https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-release/R-intro.html#Regular-expression-facilities
>>> I hope this reference provides the information you were looking for.
>>> ---------------------------------------
>>>

>>> All right, an authoritative answer!  The only problem is that *it
>> doesn't exist*.  There's no such anchor in that document.  R-intro isn't a
>> very rapidly changing document, so I could look at every change recorded in
>> svn, and that section has *never* existed.
>>> I guess ChatGPT is a pattern matching machine, and if such a question
>> had an answer, it would probably be in a location like that.  (I would have
>> guessed a help page like ?regex instead of R-intro, but I had just told it

Robert W. Baer, Ph.D.
Professor of Physiolgy
Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine
A.T. Still University of Heallth Sciences
800 W. Jefferson St.
Kirksville, MO 63501
P: 660-626-2322

The ATSU Mission
A.T. Still University of Health Sciences serves as a learning-centered university dedicated to preparing highly competent professionals through innovative academic programs with a commitment to continue its osteopathic heritage and focus on whole person healthcare, scholarship, community health, interprofessional education, diversity, and underserved populations.

Proud recipient of INSIGHT Into Diversity’s 2017-19 Higher Education Excellence in Diversity Awards.