[Rd] R-4.3 version list.files function could not work correctly in chinese

Tomas Kalibera tom@@@k@||ber@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Aug 16 16:00:13 CEST 2023

On 8/16/23 13:22, Ivan Krylov wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Aug 2023 09:42:09 +0200
> Tomas Kalibera <tomas.kalibera using gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Fixed in R-devel (84960). Please let me know if you see any problem
>> with the fix.
> Thank you for implementing the fix! I gave 叶月光 the link to the
> GitHub Action build of the r84960 installer.
Thanks and thanks for looking at the change.

> I'm worried that 叶月光 was seeing FindNextFileA fail for a different
> reason (all the examples given at the Capital of Statistics forum
> seemed to use less than 256/4 = 64 characters per file name...), but
> maybe this won't reappear with the switch to FindNextFileW. If this
> keeps happening, it might be worth producing a warning when
> FindNextFileW() fails with an unexpected GetLastError() value.

I've added a warning to R-devel when list.files() on Windows stops
listing a directory due to an error.

There is probably not more we can do unless there is a revised bug
report of the original problem.

> fs::dir_fs() uses NtQueryDirectoryFile() and WideCharToMultiByte()
> instead of FindNextFileW() and wcstombs(), but maybe this shouldn't
> matter. In particular, both list.files() and fs::dir_fs() would fail
> given a file name that cannot be represented in UTF-8 (invalid UTF-16
> surrogate pairs?)

Right, R only support file names that are valid strings, this assumption
is present at many places in the code, so it is fine/consistent to be
here as well. The choice of opendir/readdir in R was probably motivated
by minimization of platform-specific code.

Best
Tomas