[Rd] A demonstrated shortcoming of the R package management system

Tue Aug 8 16:00:20 CEST 2023

Hi Hadley,

On 8 August 2023 at 08:34, Hadley Wickham wrote:
| Do you think it's worth also/instead considering a fix to S4 to avoid
| this caching issue in future R versions?

That is somewhat orthogonal to my point of "'some uses' of the 20 year old S4
system (which as we know is fairly widely used 'out there') break
deployments" and the related "this is also a PITA for binary distributors".

The existing body of code seems to need some help.

| (This is top of my for me as we consider the design of S7, and I
| recently made a note to ensure we avoid similar problems there:
| https://github.com/RConsortium/OOP-WG/issues/317)

I haven't followed the S7 repo closely but peek every couple of months. It
seems sensible to avoid repeating shortcomings identfied elsewhere.

Best,  Dirk

--
dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd using debian.org