[Rd] HTML documentation check works best with Tidy >= 5.0.0

Sun Aug 6 15:42:22 CEST 2023

В Sun, 6 Aug 2023 12:18:09 +0200
Kurt Hornik <Kurt.Hornik using wu.ac.at> пишет:

> IIrc all Linux versions advertize themselves as something like
>
>   HTML Tidy for Linux version 5.8.0
>
> What about windows and macOS?

I've checked the "modern" Windows binaries of HTML Tidy, and they say
so too. Cannot check the macOS version easily.

I think that any released version older than 5.0.0 (before the
development moved from https://tidy.sf.net/ to
https://www.html-tidy.org/ in 2015) will only identify itself by the
release date. Judging by an R-SIG-Mac thread I've found, "Apple Inc.
build 2649" that may be bundled with some macOS versions must be of the
SourceForge vintage too, before they started using version numbers.

There are commits in the "modern" Tidy source tree using 4.x.x version
numbers, but I don't think they were considered to be formally
released. For example, Debian went from the SourceForge CVS snapshots
straight to 5.2.0 in 2016 without packaging the 4.x.x versions.

--
Best regards,
Ivan