[Rd] Confusion about ks.test() handling of ties and exact vs approximate results

Karolis Koncevičius k@ro||@@koncev|c|u@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Apr 21 10:32:41 CEST 2023

Hello,

Today I was investigating ks.test() with two numerical arguments (x and y) and was left a bit confused about the policy behind handling ties.
I might be missing something, so sorry in advance, but here is what confuses me:

The documentation states: "The presence of ties always generates a warning, since continuous distributions do not generate them"

But when I run a test with ties there is no warning:

ks.test(1:4, 4:7)

However, when I specify that I do not want an exact test, there appears a warning saying that the computation will be approximate:

ks.test(1:4, 4:7, exact=FALSE)
# Warning: p-value will be approximate in the presence of ties

But isn’t specifying exact=FALSE already makes the test approximate?

I tried inspecting the source code for guidance but also was left a bit puzzled. In ks.test.R under if(is.numeric(y)) clause there is a variable called TIES that is set and changed, but is never used anywhere. Here are examples:

line 55    TIES <- FALSE

line 61    TIES <- TRUE

line 74    if (TIES)
line 75        z <- w

But later this z variable is not used as a variable in the code. It looks to me that this TIES variable can be deleted without affecting anything else.

What I gathered from the investigation is that probably now ties are handled by psmirnov() and for numeric x and y the computations are exact even with ties, however I am a bit puzzled about the warning for approximate values, when exact = FALSE is set anyway.

So my question - is everything currently OK with the code and the documentation?