[Rd] Feature request: Limiting output of installed.packages()

Chris Woelkers - NOAA Federal chr|@@woe|ker@ @end|ng |rom no@@@gov
Wed Apr 19 16:04:55 CEST 2023

I'm going to ask this here before submitting it to Bugzilla. Is this a good
idea and worthy of being considered? I think it is but others may not feel
the same.
The installed.packages() function is very useful but can be more
information than needed. While the function includes the argument 'fields'
it seems to do nothing as all fields are outputted when running the
function with or without the 'fields' argument.
I suggest changing the functionality to do the following. When the 'fields'
argument is not present all fields are outputted as is the current
behaviour. But when the 'fields' argument is present only those fields that
are listed are outputted. This would help me greatly as I could then run
just the installed.packages(fields = ) function without having to add any
sorting after the fact.

Thanks,

Chris Woelkers