[Rd] Unique ID for conditions to supress/rethrow selected conditions?

Sun Apr 16 17:27:37 CEST 2023

On 16/04/2023 10:49 a.m., nospam using altfeld-im.de wrote:
> On Sun, 2023-04-16 at 13:52 +0200, Iñaki Ucar wrote:
>
>> I agree that something like this would be a nice addition. With the
>> current condition system, it would be certainly easy (but quite a lot
>> of work) to define a hierarchy of built-in conditions, and then use
>> them consistently throughout base R.
>
> Yes, a typed condition system would be great.

Why don't you contribute some patches to the sources to implement it in
some particular area?  You can follow the pattern that is used in the
gram.y file:  identify a class of messages, and what information is
useful in them.  Write a function or functions to generate errors or
warnings with that class, and possibly a subclass.  Then replace each
error() and warning() call in some group of functions with a call to
your function(s).

Even better, since that's a lot of work:  propose it as a project to be
funded by the R Foundation, or as a shorter project in some other way.
There are now quite a number of ways to contribute to R, e.g. see

   https://github.com/r-devel/rdevguide

Duncan Murdoch