[Rd] Bug in optim for specific orders of magnitude

Brodie Gaslam brod|e@g@@|@m @end|ng |rom y@hoo@com
Mon Dec 26 15:19:34 CET 2022

FWIW, I suspect the problem might have something to do with:

> 1/1e-308
[1] 1e+308
> 1/1e-309
[1] Inf
> 1e-309 > 0
[1] TRUE
> 1e-324 > 0
[1] FALSE

That is 1e-309 starts being treated as zero by division, but not by comparison (which happens at 1e-324).  This is not quite the range of values you were seeing the anomaly, but close.

This is on a 6th gen Skylake on MacOS.

Best,

B.