[Rd] Problem with accessibility in R 4.2.0 and 4.2.1.

Tomas Kalibera tom@@@k@||ber@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Dec 21 18:53:16 CET 2022

Hi Andrew,

thanks a lot for your testing and I am looking forward to what you find
out about the fixes in R-devel.

You asked about changes between 4.2.1 and 4.2.2 relevant to this. I
don't think you overlooked anything, I looked now again at the source
code diff and I didn't find anything relevant. The Rgui console was
fixed to work with Alt+sequences (tilde on Italian keyboard). GraphApp
was fixed to use the correct font charset for UTF-8 in dialog boxes.
Search and replace was fixed in the script editor. Invalid write was
fixed with printing very long lines.

None of those changes should impact the behavior of the caret in the
console window. I would not be surprised if the behavior with the screen
reader was unpredictable/random, certainly inconsequential to whether we
had R 4.2.1 or 4.2.2. Hopefully the changes now in R-devel would make it
more reliable. If not, we can try to improve it further.

Thanks for testing with JAWS, I am impressed it can get anything out
from Rgui with the partial cursor. NVDA cannot, it allows navigating
using left arrow/right arrow over the line (after focus out+in in R
4.2.2), but it thinks that the characters on the line are all spaces.

In either case, I think using the partial cursor with screen readers
doesn't make sense, it could only confuse the screen reader application.
If some people preferred a wider cursor than "full", we could add a
"wide full" cursor, that would be quite easy. If some people preferred
less blinking or no blinking at all, they can already set that up
system-wide in Windows for the "full" (or potential "wide full") cursor.

Cheers
Tomas

On 12/21/22 17:12, Andrew Hart wrote:
> [...]
>> it into your Rconsole file. If you already have the file, the
>> corresponding selection is "cursor_blink = Full".
>>
>> The "full" cursor is implemented as the standard Windows "caret" and
>> this is what screen readers can see. Once you set this cursor as the
>> default in your Rconsole file and re-start Rgui, but before you start
>> using the console, please switch focus out and back in (e.g. press
>> Alt+TAB twice). This helps NVDA detect the characters under the
>> cursor in already released versions of R. Please start the screen
>> reader before starting Rgui.
>>
>> I found that the "full" cursor implementation has a number of
>> problems: in some situation it disappears when it shouldn't, in some
>> the other way around. I thought this was confusing the screen reader,
>> so I fixed most of these cases.
>>
>> However, the true cause was that Rgui didn't create the cursor right
>> when it got focus the first time. Luckily NVDA is open-source, so one
>> can read and modify the source code to find out. I've added a
>> work-around to Rgui, which is used only with the "full" cursor,
>> because the "partial" cursor confuses the screen reader too much to
>> be usable, anyway. So, after this fix, one doesn't have to do that
>> focus out+in trick.
>>
>> The improvements are in R-devel (revision 83482 or newer). I would be
>> grateful if you could test it, so that it could be improved further
>> (or reverted if it actually turned out worse). Particularly if you
>> find a problem reproducible with NVDA, that should be something I
>> could diagnose and improve, as I have the sources.
>>
>> I've been testing with NVDA and I'd be curious about the impact on JAWS.
>> Rgui doesn't work with Narrator.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Tomas

>>> Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. Of course, the optimal
>>> solution would be to figure out what is going on in Rgui, but, as is
>>> always the case, the blind user use case is a fairly niche one. I
>>> appreciate all the suggestions for finding an immediate solution to
>>> my problem.
>>> I don't use any kind of IDE for working with R since I simply
>>> haven't found one that is accessible or that i understand how to
>>> use. There is a plug-in for the Eclipse IDE I installed a few years
>>> ago, but I didn't understand the first thing about how it was to be
>>> used. So I've just always worked with an editor open in one Window
>>> and R in another,
>>> working interactively in R or bouncing over to the editor for more
>>> complex things and sourcing code into R as necessary. However, I
>>> only use the R console in Rgui. I went and had a look at Rterm,
>>> which I have never used on Windows; I've only ever used it when
>>> ssh-ing into Linux systems to use R. However, I've just found out
>>> that Rterm does a number of fairly important things that probably
>>> mean I can just use it instead of Rgui:
>>> 1. You can paste from the clipboard into the Rterm prompt;
>>> 2. It has a command history;