[Rd] Problem with accessibility in R 4.2.0 and 4.2.1.

Tomas Kalibera tom@@@k@||ber@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Dec 20 23:33:41 CET 2022

Dear Andrew, Jonathan,

I had a closer look and tried to improve accessibility in Rgui, please
see below. I would be grateful for feedback.

Rgui supports three cursor types, which can be selected via Edit/GUI
preferences/Cursor blink.

The default is "partial", but for screen readers, please use "full". You
can change the selection in the menu and then "Save..." to save it into
your Rconsole file. If you already have the file, the corresponding
selection is "cursor_blink = Full".

The "full" cursor is implemented as the standard Windows "caret" and
this is what screen readers can see. Once you set this cursor as the
default in your Rconsole file and re-start Rgui, but before you start
using the console, please switch focus out and back in (e.g. press
Alt+TAB twice). This helps NVDA detect the characters under the cursor
in already released versions of R. Please start the screen reader before
starting Rgui.

I found that the "full" cursor implementation has a number of problems:
in some situation it disappears when it shouldn't, in some the other way
around. I thought this was confusing the screen reader, so I fixed most
of these cases.

However, the true cause was that Rgui didn't create the cursor right
when it got focus the first time. Luckily NVDA is open-source, so one
can read and modify the source code to find out. I've added a
work-around to Rgui, which is used only with the "full" cursor, because
the "partial" cursor confuses the screen reader too much to be usable,
anyway. So, after this fix, one doesn't have to do that focus out+in trick.

The improvements are in R-devel (revision 83482 or newer). I would be
grateful if you could test it, so that it could be improved further (or
reverted if it actually turned out worse). Particularly if you find a
problem reproducible with NVDA, that should be something I could
diagnose and improve, as I have the sources.

I've been testing with NVDA and I'd be curious about the impact on JAWS.
Rgui doesn't work with Narrator.

Thanks,
Tomas