[Rd] unlist preserve common class?

Spencer Graves @pencer@gr@ve@ @end|ng |rom e||ect|vede|en@e@org
Fri Dec 9 05:21:07 CET 2022

Hi, Gabriel:

On 12/8/22 8:20 PM, Gabriel Becker wrote:
> Hi Spencer,
>
> My 2c.
>
> According to the docs, factors are special-cased. Other S3 'classes'
> could be special-cased, such as Date in your example, I suppose, but it
> is not clear how what you're describing could be implemented for the
> general case.
>
> Suppose I define an S3 "class" called my_awesome_class, and have a list
> of 3 of them in it, and no other guarantees are provided. What should,
> or even could, R do in the case of unlist(list_of_awesomes)?
>
> There is no guarantee that I as an S3 developer have provided a c method
> for my class such that we could say the unlist call above is equivalent
> (roughly) to do.call(c, list_of_awesomes), nor that I provided any other
> particular "mash this set of my_awesome_class objects into one". Nor is
> it even guaranteed that the concept of combining my_awesome_classobjects
> is even coherent, or would produce a new my_awesome_classobject when
> performed if it is.

	  What about adding another argument to create, e.g.,

unlist(x, recursive = TRUE, use.names = TRUE, attributeFunction=NULL)

	  Then assign the assign the results of the current "unlist(x, ...)"
to, say, "ux", and follow that by

if(!is.null(attributeFunction))attributes(ux) <- attributeFunction(x)

return(ux)

	  An alternative could be to have a default attributeFunction, that
computes the attributes of each component of x and keeps only the ones
that are shared by all components of x.  This would be the same as the
current behavior for factors IF each component had the same factor
levels and would drop attributes that are different between components.
For S4 classes, if the attributes were not ALL identical, then all the
attributes would be dropped, as with the current behavior.  This should
not be a problem for S3 generics, because they should always check to
make sure all the required attributes are available.

> That said, your example was of length one,

	  My example was of length one to provide a minimal, self-contained
example.  That was motivated by a more complicated example, which took
me a couple of hours to understand why it wasn't working as I expected ;-)

	  Thanks for your reply.

	  Spencer Graves

we could special case (the