[Rd] "Failed to locate the 'texi2pdf' output file"

Henrik Bengtsson hb at biostat.ucsf.edu
Sat Apr 13 01:23:11 CEST 2013

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 3:53 PM, Kasper Daniel Hansen
<kasperdanielhansen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dan,
>
> This error looks _very_ similar to what I reported regarding the use of
> 'foreach' inside a windows vignette, on the bioc-devel email list.  As you
> say, it looks funny that it lists the tex file, yet fails to find it.

It's not looking for the TeX file, but the PDF file - that is what the
error message is referring to by "Failed to locate the 'texi2pdf'
output file".  [ Note that in this error message I use the term
"vignette" in a conceptual sense, not necessarily the vignette
*source* file (here *.Rnw) - maybe that is what is confusing. ]
Immediately after calling tools::texi2pdf("OrganismDbi.tex"), the code
tries to locate the texi2pdf output file, that is, 'OrganismDbi.pdf',
which it cannot find.  This indicates that tools::texi2pdf() gave an
error (an error message which is currently not reported/available),
which in turn indicates that the 'OrganismDbi.tex' file is
corrupt/incomplete.

> The issue had to do with closing relevant connections (for foreach, this
> was a Windows issue because the default foreach backend on Windows uses
> connections).   For my particular case, solving it was a bit difficult
> because I could not just close all connections since a vignette is being
> run inside sink().
>
> The package name makes me suspect a database connection. As a starting
> point I suggest closing all existing connections in the vignette.

I think it's worth looking into what Kasper says - that's hopefully the reason.

/Henrik

PS. I do find it odd that these issues starting to occur now, because
most of the vignette framework is performing the same steps as in R (<
3.0.0).  The main difference is see is that it now validates/asserts
that the expected output file is there *immediately* after trying to
generate them (using weave, tangle, and texi2pdf).  If for some reason
texi2pdf generates the PDF in a background process which is not
completed in full when returning the control to R, then the PDF is not
there and you would get this error.  I don't know if this can happen.
The reason why I came to think of this is because I recall that I've
seen this behavior when using bitmap() and Ghostscript to create PNGs.
 Just a shot from the hip, though.